Self Hosting RAM Requirements

So at the moment I am downloading my builds and hosting them on my own server on GoDaddy. I am currently on the ‘Deluxe Shared Hosting’ plan but am considering upgrading to the ‘Business’ plan as that comes with dedicated RAM which will speed up my website.

My question is: How are exported builds of PlayCanvas games rendered on self hosting? Is it all Server side? If I want to make a fairly heavy 3D game (with dynamic lighting etc), how much RAM is recommended? I was considering the 6GB RAM plan.

If anyone can explain how server side vs client side rendering/loading works then I would be an extremely happy man! I am an apprentice WordPress developer and am pretty new to this more technical stuff.

Thanks to anyone who can help explain these things to me. It’s like a blackbox to me!

My website is: https://planetphoenix.co.uk

Hi @CharlieGeorge,

Playcanvas is a HTML/CSS/Javascript application executed fully client-side. Your server should be configured to serve the files, much like a regular website, to the client and that’s it.

There is no server side rendering happening so the RAM requirements and any other requirements to execute your Playcanvas app fall to the user’s device to handle.

Study this manual section on how to optimize your game, and learn how to use the Profiler (available on the editor launch button or using ALT + T when running from the editor) to study your scene metrics:

https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/user-manual/optimization/

1 Like

Oh really! That’s quite a surprise to me. Thank you for explaining and for the links to the manual sections. I will get reading :grin:

1 Like

Honestly I used to upload my builds to normal webservers, but recently I started using a CDN and it’s sped up everything a decent amount.

You should try. I use bunnycdn.

2 Likes

CDNs are great! It’s not that they have special hardware configuration on server but they deploy their own distributed servers all around the world. Automatically selecting the closest server for each user attempting to access your website, reducing latency and download speeds by a big margin.

2 Likes

Wow, this sounds brilliant! I’ve heard of them before but did not know how they worked or how I could implement them. I’ll definitely look into this. Thank you!

Okay so I guess the main difference between a CDN and what I was thinking about was that a CDN can help with data transmission but not rendering graphics. I think that’s the thing I was thinking about but wasn’t sure how to word it.

Yes, a CDN can help tons improving your app loading time, but as far as the actual performance later that isn’t related.

2 Likes