[RFC] Shader Editor

@slimbuck this looks super promising. Can we get on the beta as well?

Also, this is WebGL2, correct?

Thank you!

I would love to play around with the shader editor as well! Can I get access to the beta as well please?

1 Like

I would love to get access to using the RFC Shader Editor because it would drastically speed up prototyping visual FX / material design for client work [we do a lot of work in AR, most recently, branching into making interactive websites: directory of our work].

I’ve been using PlayCanvas recently to build interactive websites for entertainment industry clients, and the current GLSL implementations are great but a bit time consuming to develop when on “music industry deadlines”. Ultimately having a node-based editor would allow us to bring in more folks to work on these projects who may not have low-level shader code knowledge. This ends up being the most time consuming part of our dev cycle behind designing mechanics, but unlike abstracting game mechanic components often times it’s not practical for us to do so with many of the shaders we make since they only really work “in context” if they’re not basic templates for something common (water, etc.)

Hoping to get access to the open beta!

2 Likes

I’ve DM’ed you :slight_smile:

Hey yaustar,

Thanks for giving me access to this! Been excited about it for months.

In the event I find a bug or have a suggestion, where should I report it to? Want to make sure I’m as useful as possible here :slight_smile:

Post in the thread that I linked to in the DM please :slight_smile:

Hi Yaustar, can we have access to the open beta? We would love to try and see how we can improve our experiences!

Hi Steven! Can I get access to the beta please?

I’d also like to get access to the beta if possible!

Ooop, I would love access to this too - at the moment I’m struggling quite a bit with hooking into playcanvas to modify materials on compilation. If there was any way to insert arbitrary shader code using the new system it would be greatly helpful to me!

Hello! Can i get access to beta shader editor?

Access please! Thanks!

Can I also get access to this project for beta testing?
Thank You

Hi, we are developing automotive configurator in PlayCanvas. One thing that we are missing is a clearcoat option for materials in editor. We can get around this by using custom shaders but it would be great to have this kind of shader blending in node editor. We would love to beta test shader editor non the less to give you feedback.

On this note - we’ve just fixed a bug which was holding up the release of clear coat in the editor, and we’ll try to release it soon after the fix in the engine is released, perhaps next week.

In the meantime, you can drive the clear coat material parameters using script - which is not as good I agree. Here’s an example: PlayCanvas Examples

And so this means you should not need to use custom shaders.

Of course you can still beta test the shader editor - I’ll let somebody else handle this part.

Done

Hello! Can i get access to beta shader editor?

Hello,can I also get the access to the beta shader editor,that looks amazing :laughing:

Great news, thank you!

madness and FBplus have been added