Question: Can i use ```this.scale``` to shrink health bar?

Ok so i have been trying to get my entitys health to go down for about a week now and now i kind of had an idea… So everything inside the editor is usable inside the code editor right? so if i take the health entity scale and when the entity is damaged the scale of the health bar will go down
HERE IS MY SLIGHT IDEA:

this.scale = this.app.root.findByName('Healh');
this.scale.entity = 10, 10, 10;
//this.scale = mouseX, mouseY;
if (this.app.keyboard.isPressed(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
this.scale = 5;
};

If anyone kind of knows if this can work let me know :slight_smile: thank you

1 Like

Hi!

Take a look at https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/api/pc.Entity.html and specifically at getLocalScale and setLocalScale.

For pseudo-code you are thinking in the right direction.

-Pieter

Thanks @Pieter ! i took a look here is what i came up with so far out of what i have learned but not sure where to go next :slight_smile: take a look if you want : https://playcanvas.com/editor/scene/722434
Here is what i have in my code

Health.prototype.initialize = function() {
var scale = this.entity.getLocalScale();
this.entity = this.app.root.findByName('eHealth');
    scale.x = 0.5;
    this.entity.setLocalScale(scale);
} else {
        scale.x = 1;
        this.entity.setLocalScale(scale);
    }
}
};

Doesn’t do anything yet but what can i do for the code update? Also this isnt really done im still working on it so some of it doesnt even have its right name :slight_smile:

Your script is attached to enemy - which means this.entity refers to your actual enemy not the health one.

First get the proper health entity -> this should scale your health to half its size.

Health.prototype.initialize = function() {
this.healthEntity = this.entity.findByName('eHealth'); // we're searching inside the entity
var scale = new pc.Vec3().copy(this.healthEntity.getLocalScale()); // store the scale inside a new vec3 (scale is a vec3)
scale.x *= 0.5; // scale x to half its size
this.healthEntity.setLocalScale(scale); // set the scale
};

I havent tested this - but keep in mind that you cant check for mousepresses or buttons in ‘initialize’ - this is only run once when the entity becomes active.

If you want to change it dynamically put your code in .update.

first test this and check if the health entity actually becomes half its size.
-Pieter

@Pieter

So if i change the enemy to dynamic when i get the movement then i would have to call the health to half size?

also it works but how would i put this in so it only goes half health when the weapon hits the entity here is my call in -Update- function

Health.prototype.update = function(dt) {
this.healthEntity.setLocalScale(scale);
};
};

i am not sure if this is how i would do this but ur code works.
also if i am to use another entity to reduce the size of the healthEntity would i have to use the same instance as you did with the health?
EDIT:
ALSO also what would be a text element constructor? i tryed this at first:

var text = new pc.text_string.copy(this.textEntity.getLocalTransform());
    text -= 50;

but when i realized i was doing so constructor incorrectly i switched it to this:

var text = new pc.ELEMENTTYPE_TEXT.copy(this.textEntity.getLocalTransform());
    text -= 50;

but still does not work as a constructor… if you know a element constructor for text let me know ty :slight_smile:

1 Like

No - the dynamic you are referring to is related to physics - that is something completely different. I meant if you want to change the scale during gameplay/runtime you have to put code in update.

Your update example looks fine but you have to change the scale value each frame if you want to see it change. e.g.

Health.prototype.update = function(dt) {
scale.x *= 0.99; // this will scale down the x value of scale.
};
};

Looking at your EDIT.
I suggest you look at tutorial examples to see how to handle text - atm it seems you’re just trying stuff out.
Gamedevelopment requires a lot of research and reading as well - look at these examples first https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/tutorials/?tags=ui
and this element https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/api/pc.ElementComponent.html#text

yes i am kind of testing random things out but what i can see from the the element this is where i have been looking at and i assumed that since pc.Vec3 worked to make a change in scale i could use pc.ELEMENTTYPE_TEXT in the same manor but also notifies me as not being a constructor so i have been looking and i seen when i highlight the text element it shows this:
37%20AM%20-%20Edited
so as i looked at this i thought maybe this would work as a constructor but i was wrong i am still looking at any possible alternative route to work this out but my question is woul i be able to do this?

var text = new pc.string('nHealth').copy(this.textEntity.getLocal...);

If you have anymore suggestions or comments on this i would be grateful @Pieter
EDIT:
Ok i have got the healthEntity going down thanks to @yaustar telling me to use app.mouse but now here is my code in -Update- function:

var scale = new pc.Vec3().copy(this.healthEntity.getLocalScale()); // store the scale inside a new vec3 (scale is a vec3)
if (this.app.mouse.isPressed(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
    scale.x *= 0.50;
} else if (this.app.mouse.wasReleased(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
    scale.x ++;
}

But now when i release the mouse button the health scale does not go up? am i using the correct operators? or do i have to use the opposite of this
*= division? which i dont see why that would work but could i not do this:

else if (this.app.mouse.wasReleased(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
    scale.x *= 0.99;

Let me know :slight_smile:

if (this.app.keyboard.isPressed(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT))

The keyboard object is being used to check for mouse input. this.app.mouse should be used instead.

Ohhhhh ok well thanks thats maybe a problem im using MOUSEBUTTON on a keyboard command :slight_smile:

scale.x *= 0.50;
    scale.x ++;
// You also need to do something with the updated scale value
// Add this line below
}
1 Like

But now that means the entity will just expand to much instead of just to where i want it to go which is its original form :slight_smile:
so whats supposed to happen is when the entity is shrunk then it grows back slowly until it hits its original scale again

I was putting in a solution to this…

But now when i release the mouse button the health scale does not go up?

With the code above, releasing the mouse button now scale the health up. Now you need to work on the next step ( having suitable values ). A lot of coding when you’re learning is doing a step at a time.

Search for the lerp functionality, it should allow you to scale down and up to relevant values.

https://forum.playcanvas.com/search?q=lerp

ok thank you very much :slight_smile: @Mal_Duffin @Pieter @yaustar

Also when i do this:

if (this.app.mouse.wasReleased(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
    scale.x += 0.10;
        scale.lerp(scale);
}

it reads of 1000 errors

Lerp takes 3 parameters, and returns the new one.

See…
https://developer.playcanvas.com/en/api/pc.math.html#lerp

Try changing the code, so that when shrinking down scale.x, use this…

scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 0, 0.5);

When scaling up, use this…

scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 1, 0.5);

Remove all other locations where you modify scale.x, and the two lines above will scale that value down to 0, and up to 1, using 0.5 as the “alpha”. Change 0.5 to speed up / slow down the rate at which the values change ( not time dependant for now, but you can change that later )

Ok @Mal_Duffin so if i did

scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 1, 0.2, 0); //original scale (1, 0.2, 0)

after i clicked the mouse button down and released it would move back to this scale?
and i would have to edit this around to make it move up just a little bit after like say a second go up from

(0.2, 0.2, 0)

then after a few seconds of not being hit it would go up

(0.5, 0.2, 0)

Like so? or is there a way to make a statement before this code is called that says wait a few seconds before calling on lerp?

scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 1, 0.2, 0); //original scale (1, 0.2, 0)

then calls on it again after he clicks once again?
EDIT:
Ok so i think i almost got it:

else {
    if (this.app.mouse.wasReleased(pc.MOUSEBUTTON_LEFT)) {
    scale.x = Date.now(0.1);
    scale.x += 0.10;
    scale.x = pc.math.lerp(0.1, 0.2, 0);
}
}

But i am not sure how to use (Date) and cant seem to find it in API reference

Try this ( taking it from the original code ), to see if the UI element scales down and up. From there, play around with the 3rd value ( currently 0.5 ) for speed ( lower value is slower ).

scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 0, 0.5);  // SCALE DOWN
    scale.x = pc.math.lerp(scale.x, 1, 0.5);  // SCALE UP
}

Ok yes that works and thats actually good… but when you click again the health goes up again which i dont want (Ill get into more of destroying entity later)
But when i release the mouse i want the health to regen to its original scale.
I will let you know if i find anything out @Mal_Duffin

1 Like

Yes thank you so much man i appreciate all of your guys help i have learned so much and hope to make an incredible game of my own :slight_smile: Quick question do you think it is ok just to link the game to my own website?

If you read the code below…

}

If the mouse button is held down for that frame, then the scale moves towards zero.
If not, then for the one single frame that the mouse was released after being held down, it moves toward 1 for that frame.

I think you probably don’t want that check for the mouse was released, and you’ll get the entity shrinking when you hold it down, and moving back up when you release it.

} else {
}
this.healthEntity.setLocalScale(scale); // SET THE ENTITY TO HAVE THAT SCALE

If you don’t want the scale to go back up, then remove the // SCALE UP line. If you want it to return to full faster, then change 0.5 to a value closer to 1. If you want it to return to full, then set scale.x to 1.