Pre-uploading of pc.Texture

Unfortunately no, we still get the lag spikes in 1.57.1 (tested on desktop Chrome). Or do we have to enable the usage of ImageBitmap somehow?

No, it should be automatic/default. Are the lag spikes the same amount of time out of interest, a bit less etc?

1 Like

It’s not currently on our roadmap (which will be public soon!) but maybe @mvaligursky has some initial thoughts about this?

1 Like

I have nothing else to add … at this stage its not on a near term roadmap, but this Test for ImageBitmap support at startup by slimbuck · Pull Request #4598 · playcanvas/engine · GitHub was released already and should help a lot, the time should be a lot smaller now on majority of platforms.

I have done some direct comparisons between 1.56.0 and 1.57.1 on our specific use case now, where we get two upload calls in our initial cutscene.

The upload calls get slightly better in 1.57. but are still fairly noticeable:
1.56.0:
79ms / 88ms
1.57.1:
14ms / 64ms

Interestingly, there is also a call to setShader before that, which takes ~80ms in both versions on the first render.
1.56.0:

1.57.1:

As far as I have understood the GitHub discussions, the ImageBitMap change also doesn’t work on Safari, correct?
One of our main platforms is iOS, we would also still be affected by this even if ImageBitMap solved it, or am I misunderstanding the change?

Thanks a lot for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correct, it will fallback to the old method unfortunately.

1 Like