PlayCanvas scalability

Hello,

I want to do a multiplayer game that will have 300 persons accessing simultaneously the same scene, it is posible? Consider that the graphics will be very simple 2D images.

Playcanvas is scalable?

Observation: I dont have problems to scale my server infraestructure (we can scale it up and I use a dedicated server for apps and other for database). I am just worried about the
software architecture necessary to scale.

Best regards,
Wellington

Possible? Yes. I can’t imagine PlayCanvas having a problem moving 300 sprites around in the scene. That kind of thing is easy to benchmark if you want to be 100% sure.

I agree, you can get this to run on low end mobile as well. I’d suggest to create an atlas of your sprite images, and then enable dynamic batching on them to have small number of render calls.

If you want even better performance, you could dynamically update vertex buffer with sprites (you’d need to write position, UV coordinates into the atlas and maybe color if needed) to avoid overhead of having separate entities each. Similar to http://playcanvas.github.io/#graphics/point-cloud-simulation.html - this has 1000s or sprites moving on CPU.

1 Like

Good luck :slight_smile:

Oh my gosh! It seems great! Thanks mvaligursky!

Thanks ILoveDogs,
we are always pushing the limits of our projects… ehehe