Multiple FBX importing shared materials issue

Hi,

I am trying to import a car model in multiple parts in order to be able to open the doors for example…
So I am exporting the exterior body (without doors) and exporting each door separately.
The exterior and doors are sharing same materials.

When I import the exterior into playcanvas, it creates all the materials as usual. For example:
EX_paint
EX_metal
EX_chrome
Etc.

Then, when I import the doors, it creates duplicates of this materials… But they are using the same name, and therefore should be overwritten isn’t it? in order to have shared materials between the exterior and the doors.

Now the problem is that I end up with:
EX_paint
EX_paint
EX_metal
EX_metal
EX_chrome
EX_chrome
Etc.

Not very convenient. Any way to solve that rather than deleting duplicate materials and re-assign everything manually?

@anon49240888 I see. Because so far there is no way to import a 3D model in playcanvas and keep the hierarchy un-merged.
So far I have seen that you can only manipulate mesh by script:

@anon49240888 Understood.
Then how would you recommend to proceed?

@anon49240888 true, however when you have complex model… it is very time consuming and not handy if i have to export the exterior and the doors separately and materials are not shared. then I have to delete manually the duplicate materials and re-assign everything by hand.

Doors are just an example, there are many other movables parts on a car…

I hope that Playcanvas Dev team can come up with a better importer that could keep the hierarchy structure…