[SOLVED] How to duplicate models?

Is there a way to duplicate .json models (not instances of models or model sources)? I want to have two models with unique ID’s so I can assign a different material to each one. Both models will be used simultaneously with the different materials - scripting won’t help here.

Just right click on the json asset and click duplicate, rename it and then you are set! :grin:

That doesn’t work for me, if I right click a json asset there is never a duplicate option

What I end up having to do is rename the material in windows, and then import it with the new name, but it’s kind of a hassle to do this a lot

Found a new hacky solution: rename the .json model in playcanvas, then if you still have the source model in playcanvas, you can reimport and you will have two models then…

Great job! I had never thought of that!

I wouldn’t go the way of duplicating JSON model assets for a colour change as that increases the download size by the size of the JSON.

The best way to do this is to use ‘Entity Materials’ which allow you to change the material mapping of the mesh instances on that entity only.

Project: https://playcanvas.com/editor/scene/646951

Create a new Entity and add the model to it.
Select the Entity and in the Inspector, click on Entity Materials

Click on the mesh instance material mapping that you wan to change
Different_Material_from_Forums___Editor

Change the material assignment

And now you have two entities with the same JSON model but with different material mappings
Different_Material_from_Forums___Editor

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is what I was overlooking, I was hoping there was a feature like this and there is, playcanvas is so great :slight_smile:

1 Like