Engine Release: v1.55

Just curious about the reasons to use spot light for the scene, instead of directional? Do we only see a small part of the scene?

If you only use directional, and there are no omni / spot lights, the clustered lighting code should not be added to shaders. Iā€™ll investigate this.

Just curious here ā€¦ when you say 100ms ā€¦ does it mean it runs at 10fps?

Just curious here ā€¦ when you say 100ms ā€¦ does it mean it runs at 10fps?

I think soā€¦ canā€™t recall why I said ā€œwonderfulā€ with 10 fps
The others were really slow, to the point of not being useable.

Iā€™ve run again all 4, and the results seem completely different. No idea why.

When I did the previous tests, I was testing them one by one, and I had no any 3D or video application running. Power supply was connected to the laptopā€¦ so no idea. Also, those tests were run in different days.

Area lights

• DrawCalls 25
  • Frame: 42.2 ms
  • GPU: 37.5 ms
  • CPU: 1.9 ms

Post Effects

• DrawCalls 62
  • Frame: 115.2 ms
  • GPU: 92.3 ms
  • CPU: 5.0 ms

Clustered Area Lights

• DrawCalls: 83
  • Frame: 38 ms
  • GPU: 30.1 ms
  • CPU: 2.0 ms

Clustered Lighting:

• DrawCalls 97
  • Frame: 9.0 ms
  • GPU: 3.8 ms
  • CPU: 3.7 ms
2 Likes

If nobody else is experiencing these problems, it may be something related to my laptop. I didnā€™t test them in other computers either, Iā€™ll do tomorrow.

1 Like

Weā€™ve just tried those 4 links you shared on RTX 3060, and the GPU times are: 4.4ms, 4.8ms, 2.0ms and 2.8ms.
Are your graphics card drivers up to date? Your timings are way too high.

On my MacBook Pro M1, I get: 2.1, 4.0, 2.0 and 0.6ms.

Are your graphics card drivers up to date?

I update them every other month as I use this laptop to work on 3D assets.

Your timings are way too high.

I know, orders of magnitude.

If nobody has complained itā€™s probably something my computer or my browser has. Please give me a couple of days so I can check in different computers myself, Iā€™m sure you all are busy with other things and I donā€™t want to waste your time.

1 Like

Please also check the value of pc.app.graphicsDevice.unmaskedRenderer in the debugger. This will tell you which GPU is being used (discreet or integrated).

1 Like

ā€™ANGLE (Intel, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0, D3D11)'

Itā€™s using the integrated one, why is that?

I may have gotten some reports for bad performance with clustered lighting on users using a laptops with integrated GPUs (windows).

I havenā€™t been able to verify that, but it does ring a bell.

Based on the numbers, even rendering without clustered lights is really bad on that intel card. Clustered makes it even slower.

1 Like

Itā€™s using the integrated one, why is that?

Iā€™m not sure how chrome selects between discrete and integrated.

Hmm I wonder whether we should show the active GPU on ministatsā€¦

2 Likes

Showing the active GPU would be great, actually! Capping the refresh rates of the values would also be nice :slight_smile:

The spotlight is part of the player entity and represent the visible area for the player. Everything outside the spotlight is not visible for the player.

1 Like

Yep, itā€™s a laptop thing with Chrome, it tries to save battery by going to the integrated GPU by default. Iā€™ll play with Nvidia control panel later.

Post effect example:

• Chrome: 115 ms
  • Brave: 6.1 ms
2 Likes

Notice: We will be disabling clustered lighting as default for 1.55.1 release due to potential performance issues.

2 Likes

Patched to v1.55.1:

1 Like

:mega:

We have been delayed a day due and we are planning to promote engine v1.55 to current tomorrow (Thursday 4th Aug) morning BST

3 Likes

Editor has now been updated!

3 Likes