[SOLVED] Chrome 79 WebXR

Hello Playcanvas team,

are you supporting the new WebXR API in the near future? Can you give a specific
timeline?

Thanks!

I imagine since WebXR is intended to replace the older WebVR API PlayCanvas will keep up when the time comes (cross browser support).

@will might be able to shed more light on this.

Correct, the new WebXR API will completely replace the WebVR API in Chrome 79. The Chrome Beta 79 is already out, and the final version will be released on December 10.

Other browsers (eg. Oculus Browser) will follow shortly.

1 Like

I can’t give you an ETA on this right at this moment. But we are aware this in an important feature for the community. As soon as we have a better picture of when we can implement this, I’ll update this thread. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Hi Guys, and Happy New Year and a great decade…!!!

Also, I just want to check in on the state of WebXR support for Playcanvas. @will, do you have an update on that?

I do. Here’s a PR from the awesome @moka that removes WebVR from the engine and replaces it with full WebXR support (including AR!):

Check it out and see what you think. Feel free to comment on the PR.

@will and @max

great job on the implementation of WebXR! The samples work great on Chrome on PC with Rift/Rift S and Vive, and on the Oculus Browser in the Quest! We are updating our project as we speak, and will
share when we done.

Keep up the great work!

Best

Heiner

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback, @Heiner_Lippman! Keep us updated with your progress. :slight_smile: