Artifacting on untextured model from FBX

Hello!

I am having some trouble with a model I created. It doesn’t artifact in Substance Painter, Maya, or Blender. Here is a screenshot of it in Maya:

Whenever I import this into PlayCanvas I get black artifacting on the arms of the character like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 11.25.45 AM

This is an untextured model. It seems like a normal issue but recalculating the normals doesn’t seem to do anything. If I apply a diffuse map to this model the black streaks are just overlaid on top of the texture. Has anyone ever seen an issue like this? Usually normal issues propagate over other 3D suites but I can only replicate this within PlayCanvas. If I increase the world lights to be over exposed, the black stays far longer than the rest of the detail on the model like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 11.28.15 AM

Let me know if anyone has seen this issue. Just to be clear this happens when I move an FBX from Maya into PlayCanvas. Thanks in advance.

Can you confirm which black areas you are referencing please? At a glance, it looks like self shadows? Would it be possible to share the model too?

The black area on the arm and the hoof. Here is a zoom in of the first screenshot: Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.24.14 PM
I can share it but I shouldn’t distribute it publicly. Is there anyway I can send it to you specifically?

Also, I have receive shadows turned off so it shouldn’t be self shadowing.

is it perhaps just dark … or is there some light shining on it … or do you have ambient light level high enough so it’s not black?

You can DM us with a link to the model or add yaustar to a private project

I’ve looked at the model FBX using FBX viewer from Adobe and it looks the same here:

1 Like

Any thoughts on what could be causing that?

I’ve imported the FBX into Blender with the same issue:

This makes me think the FBX export is the issue but I honestly don’t know what could be causing it besides something to do with normals.

Edit: It’s almost as though the normals are inverted?