We have FBX import, how about the reverse? export to FBX

We can import .fbx into our projects.
With a paid plan we can export a whole project a la playcanvas formats for self hosting.
But, we can not export the whole project as .fbx. Why not and how feasible is it to include this option to the editor in the future?

That’s correct. PlayCanvas is designed as a consumer of FBX data. It’s purpose is to generate web apps rather than FBX files.

Simple answer is that nobody has ever requested this feature before. What is your use case?

It’s certainly technically feasible. The problem is that there’s little demand to do this, and implementing the feature would be a significant amount of work.

Thanks for your quick response.

I figured demand was low, because I couldn’t find any related questions.
My team and I have designed a workflow to create worlds which would somewhat benefit from being able to
exchange exports between the playcanvas editor and any native editor.

It is kind of a long story and may not make much sense at all, so I will save it.
And, one possible problem I foresee is that the playcanvas editor won’t know anything about the original .fbx and may export everything under the Root node with a random hash name. I’m not sure how the playcanvas editor should handle the fbx export when it’s imported again.

I think we’ll need to adjust our workflow…

Other than our workflow, it would be an interesting idea to be able to export the scene for a offline back up.
Just the world objects would be enough for such a use case imo. The export should not need to contain any
playcanvas specifics such as scripts, no animations, no effects, etc.

We use the playcanvas editor mostly for where the native editor lacks and collaboration, which is a very cool feature by the way to add the finer details to our world and see small last minute changes real time.

Not sure if you know about this but I’d like to mention that PlayCanvas supports exporting a project for backup reasons if you have an Organization account. This means you can export a project with all your scenes and assets and also you can import that project again in the future if you need to (without any modifications).

Hi, I know about that, but it is not entirely the same, and it’s not fail proof. What if the engine changes drastically? I might not be able to import the old exported project.

The intention is that backwards compatibility is maintained.

I have a demand for this feature. My use case is that I want the users to create at run-time 3d models with my custom interface (product configurator) and I want them to be able to export these models. The format can be FBX, GLTF or whatever that can be read by a 3D software.

I think that Babylon.js can export a scene to OBJ: https://doc.babylonjs.com/api/classes/babylon.objexport

1 Like

If you have a product configurator, that provides pre-made parts, which user can configure a product. Then you only need to save his configuration data - hierarchy basicly. Which then can be used to re-create his configuration in your application.