Can any graphics buffs tell me what is involved in achieving this look?

I really like the look of most nintendo games, just wondering if somebody has experience making this style of models generally, or within PlayCanvas.

Even if it’s not truly possible with PlayCanvas, what might be the ways I could at least approach this for my models, at least, say, the way Luigi looks, though it would be nice if someone could explain the steps needed for both Luigi and his kart.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I’m not really a graphics buff but wouldn’t it be easier to model it in Blender then import it?

Thanks for the reply Ian.

Yeah, sure, I wasn’t planning on building stuff like this in the Designer!
I meant like, how to replicate, or achieve a similar look, in Blender or other modelling programs.

I don’t know what might be the technical terms (‘bloom’, ‘subsurface scattering’ etc.) a pro would use to describe what’s going on in that video, but I was hoping for some advice as to, for example, what texturing methods, the kinds of textures, roughly what the textures would be used to do/how - or if in reality this look is primarily created by the graphics engine in Mario Kart and so that the only real way to come close is if I right my own shader code or whatever.

The former means I have some informed starting point to experiment with right now, the latter means I probably shouldn’t try until I’ve learnt a ton of GLSL or whatever else I would need.

Well, right off the bat I noticed they are probably using some sort of cube mapping and possibly HDR. Another thing I noticed was the sun glare reflection off the trolley at 0:19, possibly indicative of HDR. Besides that I’d say they used some basic reflective shaders and custom shaders for that “Nintendo touch”.

Thanks seane! Got it, reflective-high-dynamic-cube-shader-maps…guess I gots me some readings to do!

If anyone else has any more insight I’d be very grateful.